Saturday, November 7, 2009

"I'm good at making knots, but not good at untying them!"

....so said my oldest son, Kyle, this morning. We were getting ready for his soccer game and he asked for help putting on his cleats because he could not loosen the knots on his shoe strings. And it was like a "Aha!" moment for me. It made me think, that's so like a man! Good at making trouble, but not good at undoing trouble. Good at making promises, but not so good at keeping them. Good at using their words, but not so good at living by them. Good with their intentions, but not so good with the follow thru. I'm not talking about any one man in particular, but just my overall experience with men thru out my 33 years. And it may not be as profound as breaking my heart or lying to me. It could be those little things like my husband does...."Oh sure hun, I'll mail this letter for you" and then it sits in his truck for 3-4 days until I asked if he mailed it. Then the look of extreme shock as he realizes he forgot. Although he's probably seen it at least a half dozen times or so sitting in his truck daily...he still forgets to mail it. And it's usually us women who get them out of the "trouble". "Hun, either mail it 1st thing this morning or give it to me and I'll do it for you, okay?" is my standard response. That stern reminder is usually the kicker to get the dang peice of mail mailed! My husband is a very good man, but sometimes very forgetful. So sometimes I have to mother him a little to get things done. And that's okay because in the grand scheme of things, if that's the only issue my marriage has, than I have no right to complain, ya know? But don't get me started on the "trouble" Kyle can get himself into! And he's only 8 years old. I'm in trouble for the future. He's like most men...good at making knots, but not good at untying them. :o) Us women, we'll save the world yet!

2 comments:

  1. Totally agreed! Dan is the same way...I feel like reminding him is more of a hassle than just doing the job myself most days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could never get those knots out of your or your sisters shoe laces especially when they appeared in the mornings getting you off to school - my resort was buying extra shoe laces to have on hand cause I had to cut off the knotted ones. That reminds me of the knots you use to have in your hair.......as for your comments on the guys well see after god made man he took a good look and said "what the hell have I done" so he made women.

    ReplyDelete